Thursday, April 4, 2013

C4T #3

Dorothy Burt's Blog

Post #1

Within Mrs. Dorothy's first blog post that I read, she talked about rolling over individual blogs. What this means is for example, if a school principal requires all teachers to have their students create a blog for the grade level that they are in they must do so. This is a great way of keeping track of students progress! However, instead of having the students start over each year and creating a new blog, teachers would simply transfer all their passing students blogs onto the next grade level. This way students can build upon what they have already created! Mrs. Dorothy lists the four stages of what teachers should when preparing their students blogs to "roll over" into the next grade level.


Blog Rollover - Workflow
Step by step to transitioning the student individual blogs at the end of the academic year to their new class/teacher.
  • Stage One: Getting Organised Get all the documentation sorted BEFORE starting the rollover process so it happens in a methodical fashion

  • Stage Two: Passing on a class set of blogs to the new teacher(s)This really should be done by the teacher who taught the class in the PREVIOUS academic year.
  • Stage Three: Updating information on the new set of blogs The classroom teacher has just been made Admin of a whole new set of student blogs. Now the header information, which displays publicly, needs to be updated.
  • Stage Four: Publicity Spreading the word about the children’s blogs is an important way of supporting their learning.
My comment went as followed:

Hey Mrs. Dorthy,
Like Tonya, I am a student in EDM310 at the University of South Alabama. I was assigned to explore your blog and comment on your latest post. My personal blog is garyjericaedm310.blogspot.com. Also, feel free to visit our class blog at edm310.blogspot.com.
I truly enjoyed reading this post. I agree with you on the importance of students creating their own blogs to use as an ePortfolio, and at the end of the year allowing their teacher to roll over their student’s blogs to the next grade level. Blogs as ePortfolios is an easier way to document any student’s progress. It is smart and efficient.     
Thank you for laying out the steps on how to roll over students blogs. This post is very insightful. I am looking forward to your next post!  


Post #2:

In Mrs. Dorothy's second post that I read she talked about how students continued to blog over their summer break and during the holidays! This was very exciting to her, as it should be to any teacher who wants to aspire their students to become life long learners. She goes on to talk about how amazed she was with how much effort students were putting in their post. Not all of them were perfect but, anyone who read what they had to say could tell that the students were excited to shared their outside the classroom experiences with the world! Mrs. Dorothy talked about how she was able to keep up with what the students were blogging about thanks to her Flipboard app and her Twitter feed. And since the students took the time to connect with us, she took the time to share their links, which can be found here.

My comment:

Mrs. Dorothy, I absolutely love this post! I love that all your students are showing interest in blogging throughout their Holidays, and most importantly that you are able to keep up with what they are sharing through your Twitter feed and Flippboard app. The one thing that really jumped out at me in your post is, "inspire them (students) to become lifelong learners." I am also glad that you took the time to share some of the students work! I went through a couple and I have to say, I am very excited to see that they took the time to share with the world what was going on in their lives outside of school! Thank you so much for an awesome post!

3 comments:

  1. Kia ora Jerica, I truly appreciate the time you have spend connecting with me and my students. It is so encouraging when people who we have never met give feedback on what we are sharing online. I wish you all the best in your teaching career and know that having become a lifelong learner yourself you will be a wonderful role model for young people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mrs. Dorothy for the encouraging words! I really appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment and view my blog!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete