Wednesday, April 3, 2013

C4K #2


Goldie's Blog 

Goldie was the first student I was assigned to comment on. In her post she introduced herself and listed things that she enjoyed doing such as, read books, going swimming, ice fishing, hunting, and running. She went on to say that she had three brothers and one sister, her favorite color is green, and she used to live in New York. I followed with a comment on introducing myself and explaining to her all the things I love to do. I told her that like her, my favorite color is green and I love to run as well. I asked her what her favorite part about visiting New York City was.
March 
100 WC Week 8 ‘If we Share…’


The second student I was assigned to comment on was Elliana's blog. I absolutely loved her post that she had written. Her teacher assigned her class to right a poem on sharing! This is her poem:
If we share the world would be a better reality and a better world.
If we share everyone would go to sleep full, happy, warm and always looking towards a brighter future.
If we share people won’t wake up and think there’s nothing to live for.
If we share there would be no such thing as going hungry, famine or even poverty.
If we shared there could be world peace, and everlasting happiness and losing the thought of the bad things in life.
Sharing is the key to a better future, and no one can take away my belief in that.

I started off my comment by introducing myself and how I thought it was awesome that she lived in Australia because I have always wanted to go on vacation there! I explained to her that I absolutely love what she had written. Everything that she pointed out about sharing was completely true! My favorite line is, "If we share everyone would go to sleep full, happy, warm, and always looking toward a brighter future." I ended with telling her what a great job she did and to keep up the good work!


The third student blog that I was to comment on was Alexa's. Her post was on Autism, for Autism awareness month. Their teacher assigned them to visit a documentary website called Wretches and Jabberers. Her assignment for her students was, they were to watch a couple of the videos on this page and to come up with questions to ask Larry and Tracy, who were the two men the documentary website was about. Alexa's questions were:
  1. What do your families think of your journey in the film?
  2. Have you ever communicated with people like this before the film?
Alexa also went on to give her thoughts on people with autism. How she thought that people who have autism had something wrong in their brain and she had also thought that there was only one type of autism. 
She also listed that one thing she thought was interesting while visiting the website and watching some of the documentary videos was that Larry was an artist and had some of his paintings featured in Musée de l’Art Brut.

My comment was simply introducing myself and explaining to her what I knew about autism followed with a question, as seen below:
Hey Alexa, I am a student at the University of South Alabama. I am majoring in Elementary and Special Education. You have a lot of great questions, and I hope I can help you out with a few. I have never personally experienced someone who has had autism yet. However, I do know that it is a brain development disorder, which causes difficulty with social interaction, verbal, and nonverbal communication as you have seen in Larry and Tracy's documented videos. There are many different levels to Autism, and each individual is different. Although, it does not surprise me that Larry is an artist and has his paintings are featured in Musee de l'Art Brut because I have always been told by my elders that people with Autism normally excel in visual skills, music, math, and art! Anyway, great post! I enjoyed reading your thoughts and questions. I also think that it is great your teacher has assigned this assignment to your class. What is the one thing you enjoyed most about this assignment? 


My last student was Blake. His blog post was about blogging. His teacher asked him the following questions: 
What do you think you as a student gain from blogging with students and others outside of the school?
Is it worth the time? Why or Why not? 
Blake answered the questions by saying, "I think people gain some communication skills from talking with people outside of school. It is worth the time because you can learn more about people outside of school. 
I followed with a comment saying, He was absolutely right. Through blogging, people get the opportunity to meet and learn all sorts of interesting things about others that they wouldn't have gotten the chance to if they weren't exposed to blogging, such as knowing where they came from, life experiences, future goals, certain interest, and knowledge in areas that others may know little about. I shared with Blake how I recently started blogging and how I thought I was going to hate it, but I turned out the exact opposite! I ended my comment with a question asking, what has he learned from blogging? 

No comments:

Post a Comment