Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Special Blog Post #1

WolframAlpha

Many students misinterpreted Dr. Strange version of Did you know?, including me. I didn't take in to consideration the difference in population. When I searched the different populations of China, India, and The United States I found that China has a population of 1.21 billion, India has 1.35 billion, and the United States has 309 million. China and India has a significantly bigger population than the United States, which if you don't pay attention it explains why anyone could easily take it as the United States is "falling" behind, but we are not.

I did two more searches on WolframAlpha. The first question I searched for was which state has the largest population? The answer was California with 37.69 million people. I wasn't surprised by the answer however; I was surprised by how much extra information popped up from my search. It gave the basic information, location, population history, statistics, and all the main information about the state of California. The second following question I asked was which state had the smallest population? This turned out to be Wyoming with a population at 568,158 people.

Gary Hayes Social Media Count


I enjoyed looking at this site. It's really neat how Gary Hayes was able to put together a page where it instantly updates everything that is going on with social media around the world. I was blow away with the numbers for each different option I chose, because I have never seen everything compared like this before.

Watching the numbers increase at such a rapid rate really shows you how fast the world is changing and how important social media is the world. I believe that it is important to expose my students to different types of social media. There is a lot of going on beyond the four walls of a classroom. Having my students be exposed to everything that is going on through social media will help them go above and beyond with all subjects.

No comments:

Post a Comment