Sunday, January 20, 2013

Blog Assignment #2

About Me

Hello! My name is Jerica Gary. I was born and raised in Biloxi, Mississippi. I am twenty-one years old and have two siblings, an older brother and a younger sister. My family and my faith are both very important to me. I enjoy cooking, camping, biking, going to the beach, and being out on the water. 

I attended Mississippi Gulf Coast Community College for three years and while I was there I worked as a nanny. I took care of two amazingly beautiful kids in which I quickly became attached to. They are the ones that inspired me to change my course of study from nursing to elementary education. 

My Future Classroom 

When I was growing up I was very shy. I felt uncomfortable being in big groups. However, that ended in my third grade year when I was introduced to group activities by my teacher Mrs. Warren. She was full of life. She kept learning structural and fun and her teaching methods where very engaging as well as hands on, which changed my life for the better. I became more outgoing and more eager to participate in class. 

So when I think of my future classroom, my third grade class is what I flash back to. I aspire to be like Mrs. Warren and give my future classes the same experience each year that I got with my third grade class. 

I plan to teach anywhere between grades one through four. My room will be vibrant and inspirational, full of life and color. I will be versatile when teaching new curriculum.  I will do that by introducing new concepts through music, games, or crafts. I will be incorporating a lot of group activities. This will help my students to be more sociable (if needed), learn how to work well with others, and be able to expand their minds to go above and beyond.

I would also love to have a class pet, in which my students will be responsible for. I believe that it is important for children to have responsibilities at a young age. Positive reinforcement is another key element I will be using in my classroom; encouraging my students to think outside the box and to push beyond their own boundaries.   

Randy Pausch on Time Management

In Dr. Pausch's video I learned that time is just as important as money. Also when there is tasks at hand NEVER take short cuts. However, the one thing he mentioned that I really need to work on is, when making a to do list always do the ugliest task first. I always tend to get the easier task done and save the harder one for last. 

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everyone (it seems) wants to teach grades 1-4. I wonder...

    Well written. Welcome to EDM310!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jerica, sorry about deleting my first comment. I didn't think I followed the instructions right so I wanted to redo it to make sure. Anyways, let me commend you on wanting to work with elementary children because they require a lot of energy and a lot of attention. It sounds like your classroom will be very lively which is perfect for young children so you are definitely on the right track.

    ReplyDelete